Sunday, July 15, 2012

I want much more than this provincial life

"I want adventure in the great wide, somewhere.
I want it more than I can tell
And for once, it might be grand
To have someone understand
I want so much more than they've got planned."

Belle sang those words oh-so-beautifully in Disney's Beauty & Beast while running with arms wide open through a field behind her father's little farm, on a hill, overlooking a forest, a river, and mountains. I watched each and every Disney film released during the studio's Renaissance, and Belle was easily my favorite character from all those films.

I was seven when I met her, having learned how to read maybe a year or two prior, and already obsessed with books. Even at that age, I related to her because all I wanted to do was read. My sweet Mom took me to the public library at least once a week. If it had been up to me, however, I'd have been there everyday, much like Belle frequented the town's bookshop. It would take no more than two days for me to read the books I checked out and so I was left to re-read them until our next trip. I memorized so many books. Crazy little creature, I was.

Now as an adult, I still love to read, though it saddens me that I do not do it as often as I should. It has been a couple of months since I was absolutely consumed by a book. Still, I relate to my old friend Belle, mostly because I want adventure now. I want to travel and try unimaginable things. I want to scream from the top of my lungs from excitement that can not be contained. I want to spring my muscles into action, I want to dance out of joy in impromptu locales, I want to see animals and flowers and trees that I have never seen before.

I don't want to settle without my senses being stirred by novel sights, scents, and sounds. I want adventure anywhere and everywhere, including here in Dallas, here in Texas, here in the States. A few weeks ago, I made a trip to San Marcos and floated the Guadalupe River for the first time. That was enough of a first step to encourage me to take more. Now is the perfect time to make lasting memories.

Now is also the time to read read read. To live a thousand lives through the books that I lose myself in. And so with a clear mind and eyes and heart set on adventure, I will work to not be dulled by what is planned and expected. Life is too short for that, don't you think?


2 comments:

  1. I have an aunt, my favorite aunt, who would sing this song in her living room with me. She would sing it in reference to her abusive husband and how much she wanted to leave him and that situation. It was her way of finding humor in something that caused her alot of pain. Now thinking about it and the lyrics of the song I love this movie so much more because of the message it was sending. Belle had a brain and an attitude that Cinderella, (as much as I love that movie too) just didn't have. Belle is awesome. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that although she lived in a small town, she knew there was so much more to experience because she read about it all in books! And even though she knew that she didn't fit in with everybody, she refused to conform. Instead, she wished to meet someone who understood her. What a brilliant gal! :)

      Delete